My in-laws were in town over Dad’s birthday and to celebrate we made Mom’s Cherry Torte. This family recipe, descended from Mike’s Grandma Vara, was a huge hit – not only with my own boys, but also at a recent family gathering.
The best part? This is one of those super-simple, I-can’t-believe-how-easy-this-is types of desserts, that’s substitute-friendly for all types of seasonal palettes. I’m pretty partial to the raspberry filling myself . . .
- 1 – 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 1-1/2 bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 – 21 oz can of cherry (or other) pie filling
- 1 – 9 oz ready-made graham cracker crust
How to make it
- Set Cool Whip and cream cheese out at room temperature to soften.
- With an electric mixer, blend softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold softened Cool Whip into cream cheese mixture with a spoon.
- Level cream cheese & Cool Whip mixture into the bottom of the prepared crust.
- Spread pie filling evenly on top.
- Freeze for at least one hour before serving. Torte can be frozen overnight for a more ice-cream like treat.