We invited guests over for a “light” lunch. I made my Copycat Portillo’s Chopped Salad from scratch and added pizza and cake from Costco (always a crowd pleaser).
Because I knew time would be tight the morning of, I made the dressing ahead of time and Mike and I did all the ingredient chopping the night before, portioning out each ingredient per batch in plastic baggies. This turned out to be a life saver in so many ways . . . no mess in the kitchen, momentary prep time, no clean up. It was wonderful!
I did however over-buy. What you see here are two batches of the chopped salad. I think we cleared only a little more than one tray! We sent a lot home with guests and have been steadily enjoying leftovers!
These treats are SUPER easy to make and equally yummy (especially right out of the fridge). Two batches were completely gone before the guests left.
Ingredients (makes 14 balls)
1/2 cup hazelnut spread with cocoa (i.e. Nutella)
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
14 large marshmallows
3 cups Chocolate Cheerios cereal (could be substituted with almost any crunchy or candy topping)
Cake pop sticks
1. Microwave hazelnut spread and chocolate chips on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth
2. Insert a toothpick into marshmallow and dip into chocolate mixture. Roll in cereal to coat completely. Set on plate and substitute toothpick with cake pop stick. Repeat with remaining marshmallows.
3. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
DRUMMER BOY CAKE | recipe adapted from a Kraft Foods ad in the holiday Jewel-Osco coupon flyer
I made this cake for Elijah’s smaller family party a week prior to his actual birthday. Chocolate cake with cream cheese filling is a personal favorite!
I’m not the most fabulous cake decorator (unlike my sister), but I liked the way it turned out for my little drummer boy . . . besides chocolate always tastes good no matter what it looks like :).
1 tub (8 oz) COOL WHIP thawed & divided
1 pkg (2 layer size) chocolate cake mix
1 pkg (3.9 oz) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 squares BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1 pkg (8 oz) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 different colors canned cake icing (with applicator tips)
2 large marshmallows & 2 cake pop sticks for drum sticks (not pictured)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare cake batter according to package instructions, blending in dry pudding mix.
3. Bake as dirtied on package for 2 (9 inch) round layers.
4. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely
5. Microwave 2/3 COOL WHIP and chocolate on High for 60-90 seconds (do not exceed or you will burn the chocolate – lesson learned!). Stir until blended.
6. Beat cream cheese, powder sugar and remaining COOL WHIP until well blended.
7. Stack cake layers on plate, filling with cream cheese mixture.
8. Frost with chocolate mixture.
9. Decorate with wafers and colored icing to represent a drum.