The Robin costume is done! I don’t know who is more excited – me, Noah or Elijah! 🙂
Here is how the Robin costume came to be . . .
SUPPLIES (less than $12)
- 1 yard green fleece – for sleeper (JoAnn sale price – $4.49)
- 1/2 yard black taffeta (JoAnn sale price – $3)
- 1/8 yard black felt – shared with Batman Costume (JoAnn sale price – $0.37)
- 1/8 yard yellow felt – shared with Batman Costume (JoAnn sale price – $0.37)
- 1/4 yard red felt – (JoAnn sale price – $0.75)
- 1/4 inch wide black elastic – for cape & mask (JoAnn – $0.49)
- 20 inch green zipper – for sleeper (JoAnn – $2.29)
- 2 decorative buttons (from home that matched the Batman Costume)
- Sticky velcro (from Grandma)
- Clear thread – to eliminate changing bobbins! (from home)
- Vintage Kwik Sew baby sleeper pattern (from Grandma)
- Note: Fleece material is great for keeping baby warm but any fleece sleeper will need to be sized a bit larger to accommodate – it’s not as stretchy as the fabric normally used for sleepers.
- I followed sewing instructions included in the pattern for the majority of the sleeper.
- I DID NOT use sewing instructions for the footies, arm ribbing, or neck ribbing – instead, I seamed the arm holes, leg holes and neck opening to finish the edges.
- I found a graphic logo of Robin’s symbol online and re-sized the file to be 3″ wide to balance the size of the sleeper and the red-felt shirt.
- I printed two copies of the logo, and cut one to be the black oval pattern and one to be the yellow “R” pattern.
- Both were cut from their respective pieces of felt and machine sewn to each other.
Stay with me – this will be the most complicated part of the whole costume – but it is still do-able!
- Shirt pieces were traced directly from the fleece sleeper (allowing room for a seam) onto red felt so that it would be an exact fit (2 pieces for the back and 2 pieces for the front).
- I seamed the two back pieces together, and the two front pieces at the sides to the back, leaving the front of the shirt open.
- The shirt was machine stitched directly to the back-side of the sleeper first – at the neck, arms, and bottom.
- The Robin logo was machine stitched to the right side of the front of the shirt.
- The shirt was then machine stitched directly to the front-side of the sleeper at the neck, arms and bottom (still leaving the front of the shirt unattached on either side at the zipper).
- I trimmed the right-front side of the shirt to be even with the seam of the zipper and then hand-stitched the red felt to the zipper for a clean edge.
- I allowed the left side of the shirt to overlap the zipper (to hide it) and machine stitched the felt to the left side of the zipper to secure it.
- I hand-sewed two buttons to the front of the sleeper to attach the cape to.
- 8 yellow rectangles were cut from yellow felt (1-1/2″ wide X 1/2″ high).
- I machine sewed rectangles together in pairs (to strengthen them) and then stitched them to the left of the zipper directly to the shirt (and sleeper – also by machine).
- I used small squares of sticky velcro to fasten the yellow rectangles to the right side of the red shirt (keeping that green zipper hidden underneath the red felt shirt).
- I cut the black taffeta fabric across the top and seamed it in the middle so that it became 1 yard wide.
- I trimmed two inches off of each side of the cape.
- I seamed the right, left, and top sides of the cape.
- I cut the cape to be 19″ long (based on Noah’s height) and seamed the bottom.
- I threaded the 1/4 inch wide black elastic through the top seam of the cape and measured the gather to drape around his shoulders and fasten to the buttons.
- The elastic was seamed into a loop at the end of the cape that enables the cape to be fastened to the sleeper via it’s buttons.
- Leg pieces were traced directly from the sleeper pant (allowing room for a seam) onto black felt so that they would be an exact fit.
- Leg pieces were seamed, turned inside out and hand-sewn onto the sleeper (top and bottom)
- The belt was created from two pieces of black felt (machine sewn together) 1.5 inches wide by the length of Noah’s waist.
- The buckle of the belt was made from two pieces of yellow felt (2 inches square) stitched together with a black felt piece (1.5 inches square) stitched to the middle.
- The buckle was machine sewn onto one side of the belt
- I placed sticky velcro to the back of the opposite side and to the belt itself.
- I placed Noah in the Baby Bijorn facing me so that I could measure his face (with minimal craziness) to make my own pattern for the mask.
- I measured the following:
– The left-most part of his left eyebrow to right-most part of his right
eyebrow (5 inches)
– The distance between his eyebrows (1 inch)
– The distance from the center of his eyebrow to his face – the height of
his eye socket (1.5 inches)
- I plotted the previously mentioned measurements onto a piece of paper (to make the “eyes” of the mask) and connected the dots with the curvature of a cup.
- After the “eyes” of the mask were plotted, I measured one inch from every plot point to get the shape of the remainder of the mask and connected the dots again with the curvature of a cup.
- The pattern was used to trace two masks onto black felt, which were machine stitched together for strength.
- I measured elastic around Noah’s head (again very tricky with a baby!) and stitched it between the two masks.