When Noah decided on a Veggie Tales themed party for his fourth birthday, I was shocked to find so few ideas online for the preschool crowd. Fighting morning sickness and the plague of tiredness that is first trimester pregnancy, I was incredibly tempted to just order goodie bags and call it a day. But when I came across a picture of a mason jar filled with “veggie” goodies, I knew the boys and I could creatively and inexpensively make a few handmade party favors of our own.
You can too :).
What you Need
- Mod Podge
- Brush or sponge applicator for Mod Podge
- 1 – 4-ounce mason jar for each guest
- 1″ wide green or yellow ribbon
- 2″X2″ Veggie Tales graphic / sticker label
- “Veggie” Candy Mix
“Veggie” Candy Mix Ingredients*
- 1 – 13 ounce bag cherry sours
- 1 – 10 ounce bag fruity sour strips
- 2 – 6 ounce boxes lemonheads
* For every 4-5 mason jars you plan to fill
How to Make Them
- Thoroughly wash and dry each mason jar
- Cut a length of ribbon that will comfortably wrap around the middle of the jar, meeting, but not overlapping, where you have decided the “front” of the jar should be.
- Following wikiHow’s instructions, Mod Podge the ribbon to the jar, coating slightly beyond the area of the ribbon. By the time you’ve finished all your jars, you should be ready to proceed to Step 4.
- Add the Veggie Tales graphic or sticker label to the “front” of the jar (over the edges of ribbon to hide them) and Mod Podge into place, again coating slightly beyond the area of the graphic/sticker. Complete on all jars allowing them to dry a recommended 15-20 minutes before proceeding to Step 5.
- Mod Podge all the jars three more times, allowing for the recommended 15-20 minutes between coats.
- Leave the jars to set overnight, fill with the “Veggie” candy mix, and cover.
I realize not everyone is able to create a personalized graphic label on their own (like the ones shown in our party favors). Here are a few suggestions to get you started on your party favor labels:
- Consider purchasing 2″X2″ circle or square stickers from the Veggie Tales store online. You’re looking for keywords like “sticker roll” or “sticker badge.”
- Browse Etsy for vendors who specialize in creating Veggie Tales items for birthdays and see if they will create a custom label for you.
- Sign up for a free graphic service like Canva and create your own with ideas you find online. Make sure to mind copyright, and also plan to print in color on card stock. They will turn out so much better!