We had some beautiful nectarines chilling in the fridge next to my mom’s fresh rhubarb and I was absolutely needing something sweet to go along with dinner (I blame the baby). Recalling a simple fruit sauce my mom had passed along several years ago, I managed to create this deliciously refreshing dessert.
We’ve shared this Rhubarb Nectarine Parfait with a few of our friends and the feedback has been the same – it just tastes like summer. I think you’ll agree (and enjoy)!
What you Need
- Cheesecake flavored Jello instant pudding mix (1 package will easily make 3-4 large parfaits)
- Fat free milk (used according to instant pudding mix instructions)
- Container of Cool Whip
- 3-4 chilled nectarines
- Packaged Rice Krispies (approximately 2 per parfait)
- Fruit Sauce
Fruit Sauce Ingredients
- 10 ounces chopped rhubarb
- 4 nectarines
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (up to 1 cup for a sweeter taste)
- 1 tbsp cornstartch
How to make it
- Combine rhubarb, nectarine, water, and powder sugar in a large pot on high heat (as pictured “before” below).
- Heat until boiling, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- When rhubarb and nectarines are soft, mash to desired consistency with a potato masher (as pictured “after” below).
- Add up to 1 tbsp cornstarch to thicken fruit sauce (if necessary).
- Cool to room temperature on stove then transfer to a refrigerator safe container and chill for a few hours.
- Thaw Cool Whip at room temperature.
- Make Cheesecake flavored Jello instant pudding with milk according to package instructions. Place in refrigerator to set.
- Dice chilled nectarines and set aside.
- Cut Rice Krispy treats into small squares and set aside.
- Layer individual parfait glasses with Rice Krispy treats, chilled nectarines, pudding, fruit sauce, and Cool Whip.
- Tall glasses (as shown above) will have enough space for two repeated layers.
- Order of the layers is important, but thickness is up to you!
- Your generosity with each layer will determine the total parfait yield.