This is an easy recipe to put together and packs well if you need to share a meal with a new mommy or other friend in need of something yummy to eat.
Ever the adventurous cook, things don’t often turn out exactly the same after numerous tastings in my kitchen, so I will include the original recipe and then the alterations I’ve experimented with. Happy cooking! Enjoy!
Christine’s Original Easy Mexican Rice
4 cups cooked brown rice
2 – 14-15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (I like the garlic basil variation)
1 – 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
1 can Green Giant’s Mexicorn
1 packet of taco seasoning
1. Cook brown rice according to package instructions on stovetop. (Roughly 1 & 1/3 cups of raw brown rice will equal 4 cups cooked brown rice.)
2. Drain and rinse garbanzo beans and Mexicorn. Add to cooked brown rice.
3. Add two cans of diced tomatoes and taco seasoning.
4. Mix ingredients well and heat until warm.
We always eat our Mexican Rice with grated cheese sprinkled on top of each plate and with a side of tortilla chips.
Recipe Variations and Tips
1. For additional protein add leftover chicken pieces to the rice recipe or cook chicken fresh to be served along with a side of the Mexican Rice.
3. For more varied flavor, experiment with chopped onion, olives, avocado or green pepper.
4. Rice meal can also be served in a burrito or taco shell.
5. Since we eat this meal a lot, I have purchased a jumbo bottle of taco seasoning from Costco and therefore never put the same amount into the recipe. Less taco seasoning equals a more milder dish, and more obviously adds an extra kick of spice. If you happen to over-spice the dish, add milk to the dish until your tastebuds are comfortable.
This post contains affiliate links. Questions? Read my disclosure page.